Friday, December 31, 2010

Split Ends: What causes them & How to Avoid Them

What are Split Ends and How Do I Get Rid of Them?
Split ends are not completely avoidable, BUT there are ways to prevent them and keep these pesky problems to a minimum. Let me first say, there is NO WAY TO REPAIR split ends. Once the cuticles and cortex are damaged on that strand, there is no lotion, potion, or oil that can repair he split. The only way to rid your hair of split ends is to cut them completely off. If you are trimming or cutting your hair the most important thing you can do to start things off right is to purchase a good pair of hair cutting shears. Please do not use regular household scissors, or the $3.00 pair you purchased form the corner beauty supply. Scissors that are not sufficiently sharp will only cause more split ends! Also remember you can't keep using the same shears for 4 years and expect those to have the same sharpness as the day you purchased them.  Take the time to invest in a good pair and replace them regularly.

Split ends occur when the protective cuticle of the hair is destroyed at the end of the hair. The hair will then split into two or more strands. Keep in mind that splits can occur anywhere along the hair shaft. Once it splits you must cut the damaged part off as the split can continue all the way up the shaft causing further damage. 


What Do Split Ends Look Like?






Preventing Split ends


The ends of your hair are the oldest, and dryer parts of your hair. This is why splits typically occur here. Simply put DRY HAIR BREAKS. This is why moisturizing your hair daily, paying close attention to the ends and sealing the ends with oil is one of most important measures you can take to avoid split ends.  I have minimal splits now because I have removed heat from my hair equation altogether.  Heat drys out your hair.  If you are relaxed and you are using heat on a regular basis you are abusing your hair... your goal of long hair will only be a dream.  I thought because my hair was healthy looking, that is was healthy...but my hair would not grow past shoulder length.  I only used direct heat once a week and of course before my journey adding moisture was a no no because it would make my hair draw up and I would have to re-set it and flat iron again.  So heat plus no moisture, constant manipulation from combing equaled constant split ends for me.  I can remember getting my hair trimmed at the salon and seeing new splits a day later! Below is a list of Do's to preserve those precious ends. The longer you can keep your ends in tact the more length you will retain, and the longer your locks will flow.

To Prevent Split Ends...DO

- Deep Condition (with heat and or a plastic cap) hair often to provide each strand with nourishment and moisture.

- Moisturize your hair daily and lightly seal it with oil to provide a barrier for hair and give it improved elasticity. This will help it to stretch under stress put on hair rather than split and break. Split ends sometimes occur because the protective hair oils do not reach the end of the hair shaft, causing it to split. African American hair is naturally dryer because of the curly nature of our hair. The sebum (oils produced naturally by our bodies) does not easily travel down to the end of the hair shaft which creates much dryer ends for African American hair.

- Trim your hair regularly to prevent splits from traveling up the shaft and stopping future splits before they start.

- Apply a high quality conditioner after shampooing or cleaning scalp to close and seal those raised cuticles and lock moisture into each strand.

- Avoid applying heat to hair at all costs.  I would only apply direct heat for special occasion while on your journey.  You can ease back into heated styles a little more often after you have achieved your goal length. Remember that heat (especially direct heat i.e flat irons, curling irons, blow dryers) will rearrange protein bonds and remove moisture from the hair strands which can cause splitting.

- When using heat on your hair be sure to apply a heat protectant to provide a buffer between your hair and the heat.

- Make sure your moisture protein balance is in check

- Wear protective styles as often as possible. This will help protect those precious ends from exposure to rubbing against cloths, the dry air, and other natural elements which can cause ends to split.

- Minimize combing and manipulating your hair.

6 comments:

  1. i have split ends and i got my hair trimmed but there i have baby split ends,off shoots,long,double y and other kinds so how do i get rid of them ?
    also ive been wanting my hair to grow now for years but its been the same length for 3 years now i think its grown maybe an inch or two but i dont see any difference so is there a way to grow hair faster and more thicker ? 1 more thing is there a way to color your hir naturally? is there a way to color black hair red naturally like using fruits or something else i dont want something that will damage my hair . also are you an expert on only hair or other things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would suggest a product by the brand "Carol's Daughter":

    http://www.carolsdaughter.com/portal.aspx?CN=DE1AE0C208A6


    As far as coloring hair naturally, you could try henna. I am a natural brunette (Caucasian) and use a rosemary rinse to keep my hair shiny, but it does not add color. To make a rosemary hair rinse, find a nice heat-resistant container such as a pyrex or thick glass bowl, place several sprigs of fresh rosemary into the bowl and pour boiling water over them. Let it sit for 10 - 15 minutes and remove the rosemary. Use this rosemary 'tea' as a final rinse for your hair after washing and conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you do to your hair after washing since removing heat completing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I set my hair to wear in a bun, or phony pony tail for the week, always air dry. I only wear hair down and use heat on special occasions, this is very important to reaching your goals quickly. NO HEAT on a regular basis is critical.

      Delete
  4. I have shoulder length hair that gets nappy when wet and the dominicans seem like the perfect solution but they from what your saying they are basiclly shaving my hair bald. What is a good alternative that doesnt make me look ungroomed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Confused:
    If I were you I would try to find styles that eliminate the use of heat when you get a significant amount of new growth. Also your hair should remain a manageable texture if it is well conditioned. For most of my life I thought my hair was dry, unruly and "nappy". But once I began taking care of it and keeping moisture on the strand, the texture of my hair became softer, the curl pattern appeared looser and I was able to look well groomed despite 3 months of new growth on top of my head. You may want to find an up-do that works leading up to touch-ups.

    ReplyDelete